Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Review: Twice Upon A Time (Half Upon a Time #2) by James Riley


Twice Upon a TimeTitle: Twice Upon a Time
Author: James Riley
Publisher:  Aladdin
Release Dates: April 24, 2012
Pages: 368, Paperback
Age Range: 8+
Goodreads Rating: 4.29 stars
My Rating: 5/5 stars


Summary from Goodreads: Pirates and mermaids face off in this fractured-fairy tale sequel to Half Upon a Time!  Jack and May are back for another adventure in the world of fairy tales with a twist. Now that they know about May’s grandmother’s real intentions, they’re on the hunt to learn May’s true identity. The search for answers leads Jack and May to the world of the Sea King, where they land right in the center of a battle between mermaids and the Pirate Bluebeard. The laughter and action are nonstop in this book from author James Riley—the second in a trilogy!

OUR TAKE

Those of you who read my previous post about this book already know that my son LOVED this book.  He devoured it in one night and insisted that I immediately read it too.  (I wasn't able to immediately read it, but I did my best to get to it quickly for him).

Well, I just finished the book moments ago and I have to say that I agree with him!  This book is the sequel to Half Upon a Time and you definitely need to read that book first because it's very much a continuation.  Half Upon a Time revolves around a girl named May who finds herself suddenly transported to a fairy tale world, only to discover that her missing grandmother is very much a part of that world.  She meets up with Jack (son of the beanstalk Jack), a young boy who wants nothing less than to be a hero in a fairy tale and Phillip, a young prince who is very much the hero.  The trio goes off on a quest to save May's grandmother, but there are MANY twists and turns along the way and by the end they discover that nothing was as it seemed when they headed out on their quest.  I love that the story gives a twist to some of our favorite fairy tales.  I also love the characters - especially Jack and May, who are both strong characters with some interesting flaws (May is doubly fun because of her sarcastic personality).

Twice Upon a Time finds the same trio trying to undo some wrongs that they caused during the first quest!  This story is action-packed and full of suspense.  The characters are still delightful and the story takes a few more twists and turns that will keep you guessing right up until the very end.  J and I can't wait until the final book of the trilogy comes out in May!  Hurry out and get the first two books so that you'll be ready for the last book's May 7th release! 5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my alley! I didn't get to read your review. I don't want to ruin anything. Did you ever review the first book? I would love to read your thoughts on it (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't review Half Upon a Time because we read it before I started this blog, but we loved it! The third book in the series also recently came out and my son devoured it (I haven't gotten to it yet, much to his dismay). This has been one of our very favorite series so if it sounds like something you'd like, I would definitely pick them up!

      Delete